Sunday, January 30, 2011

NINE! Ten! 13!!

I really liked the idea of taking something that you have previously written about and turning it into a poem. I feel like poetry tends to be something very difficult to get started with. I know I always had trouble coming up with something to write about whenever we had to write poetry in school. I thought it was very creative to write about something like the noise that overalls make in the dryer. I thought she made a really good point about how poetry does not have to be about something deep and profound. It is way too hard to write a poem that encompasses "all of nature" as she said in the book. To me, writing a poem about a very simple, every day thing like the washer/dryer is much more appealing and much more realistic.
Chapter 10 kind of got on my nerves. Obviously I don't know this author, and I do feel like she has a lot of good ideas, but I felt like she just kept insisting that her ways and methods are vital to a classroom and that the way she does it is the best way but people just aren't doing it. I understand why it's good and I don't mean to say that I wouldn't like having a writer's workshop in my classroom, but this just seems like a very extreme version of it. Maybe I'm totally wrong about that - I've never really heard or thought much about a writer's workshop before so maybe this really would be the way it was, but it seems really intense to me.
I don't understand what a focus lesson is.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you pushing back at Ray a bit - she IS extreme in her version of the workshop, and there are points on which I disagree with her. I think there are many versions of what workshop looks like, and you'll develop your own during this semester. So, keep arguing with her as you put together your ideas.

    I love her poem. "Found poetry" can be a great approach for writers who don't feel like poetry is their "thing." We can find poems everywhere.

    And, we will spend time talking tomorrow about focus lessons and their purpose. Hopefully you'll feel much better about them by the time you leave class tomorrow.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete