Monday, January 24, 2011

Writer's Workshop

All throughout elementary school I absolutely loved to read. I didn't ever particularly care about writing though. I didn't dislike it in school, but I would never have chosen to write outside of school over choosing to read. I am one of those people that Katie Wood Ray described in the book - "many, many adults will define themselves as 'readers' but not 'writers'." Her explanation for why that is probably pretty correct.

Another reason I didn't particularly care for writing was because the way it was presented in school was never all that pleasant. I remember never being too enamored with the "writing process". It always really took the fun out of it and made me feel like the more important part was closely following the steps, not the actual writing. The system was too rigid and made the experience less authentic.

The system described at the very beginning of the first chapter sounded very unfamiliar to me. I cannot imagine the 4th grade class I am in now having this kind of freedom of interaction. However, I felt like I may have seen some parts of a first grade version of this scene in my placement last semester. They had the chance to write and share for an allotted amount of time every single day. They could write about whatever they wanted and share their ideas with their classmates. This was definitely helping them expand their knowledge of language and helping them learn a lot.

I wonder if this would be considered integration of subjects. They are definitely expanding their language arts skills as they practice writing. Does this mean that it does not fit this description of a writer's workshop? Something that really stuck out to me from the reading was the description of the difference between being and doing writing. I hadn't thought of it this way before, but she described very well the importance of spending time just writing and nothing else. Also, she made many good points about emphasizing why it is important. This is definitely introducing a concept that I had not previously given a lot of thought to. I am glad to be able to learn about this now from this book and class. I'm not very sophisticated with technology, so I hope this will help me learn a lot in that department as well.

1 comment:

  1. I do hope you'll learn a lot in all those areas, too. (Let me know if something could be going better! I appreciate your adventurous adoption of the blog - nice work!)

    It sounds like your experience last semester was a good one for writing instruction. I hope you'll share some of these experiences with us during class!

    And integration is a good approach, to be sure, but teaching writing separately as well offers different opportunities.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete